Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
I’ve always wanted to bake high top muffins but I did not know how , the closest I had come to high top muffins were high top cupcakes.
The ‘secret’ to high top muffins is to preheat the oven to a very high temperature and then reducing it to the required baking temperature as soon as the muffins are in the oven.
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 125 ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 250 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or seed of half of a vanilla bean
- 370 grams plain flour
- 30 grams cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 200 grams chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 200 Celsius
- Line your 12 muffin tray with paper liners. For this particular recipe I do not like to use paper liners. I like to butter and flour each cupcake hole, this will stop them from sticking. I like the look of the muffins without the paper liners.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and add 150 grams of the chocolate chips and mix the wet ingredients together separately in a jug.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until smooth.
- Fill the muffin cases to just over 2/3 rds full. Put the rest of the chocolate chips on top of the muffins and push them into the cake gently.
- Put the muffins in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 180 Celsius.
- Bake for 20 -22 mins. Test with a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the middle of the muffins to see if they are baked through and remove from the oven.
- Leave for about 5 minutes and then put on a cooling rack to cool completely