Chocolate chip biscotti
This chocolate chip biscotti is delicious and I love the addition of dessicated coconut to it. You can add nuts of your choice as well.
This recipe makes two loaves but you can easily half this recipe to just make one loaf which makes about 10 slices. This will depend on how thick you cut the slices. When it has cooled you can package some of it and give away as gifts.
You can replace 40 grams of the plain flour with ground almonds if you prefer an stronger almond taste. As a variation you can dip some or all of the ends of the biscotti and let them set before serving or packing them.
- 200g caster sugar
- 110g butter, softened
- a few drops of almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 440g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 100g chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Stir in the almond extract and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, fold in the coconut and chocolate chips.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces. Roll each piece out into a log about 25cm long. Place them on an unprepared baking tray and flatten them until they are about 7.5cm wide.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Cool on baking tray for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice the logs into wide slices. Place slices cut side down onto the baking tray.
- Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes, until crisp and light brown.
Serve and enjoy this marvellous coconut and chocolate chip biscotti!